As Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari and other presidential aspirants pick up their nomination forms towards the fast-approaching election, the Nigerian President is becoming the more preferred candidate for the presidency in 2019 despite many threats and attempt to distort his campaign. As the relentless Nigerian President refuses to give in to the pressure of those calling for his retreat and step down, he seems to be gaining more supporters who believe that his re-election will bring about more positive changes for Nigeria. To many Nigerians, the President has only just begun with his work to transform the nation and for the top 5 reasons below, they are pro Buhari for a Second term:
- Fight Against Corruption: Since President Buhari assumed office in 2015, his foremost goal has been to tackle corruption and expose those in government who have been stealing from the country most especially during Goodluck Jonathan’s administration. If President Buhari did not come into office, Nigeria would still be hemorrhaging billions of naira to the likes of Deziani Madueke.
- The ERGP Programme: The Economic Recovery and Growth Plan Programme initiated by President Buhari has been one of the best things that have happened to the nation’s economy over the years. Many who believe in the President’s mission would say that the economic recession was a necessary and inevitable event in order to revive Nigeria’s economy which has been under strain for many years. The ERGP has succeeded in promoting made in Nigeria goods and strengthening Nigeria’s import independence so far, as well as reducing Nigeria’s foreign debt.
- Man of integrity: Many believe the Nigerian President to be a man of strong integrity. As a former Petroleum Minister, he does not own any oil rig or even a petrol station in his name. As a retired military general, he lived solely on his pension. Unlike many other politicians who have exploited their positions solely for their own personal gain, the President is not known for such. He is believed to be one of the most humble politicians and a man dedicated to country.
- Fight Against Boko Haram: Since President Buhari came into office the Boko Haram attacks in the country have reduced to a great extent, and it is believed that it will continue to reduce if he is re-elected based on the fact that he is a northern president. Also, the President promised to combat the boko haram insurgency which was at its peak at the time of his election, though the insurgency has not been completely defeated it has greatly reduced.
- Agricultural revolution: The Nigerian economy is now being truly diversified as Agriculture is now reportedly the second biggest thing after oil. The Buhari-led administration’s agricultural revolution which is based on two programmes – the Presidential Fertiliser Initiative (PFI) and the Anchor Borrowers Programme (financed by the CBN) is placing agriculture at the top of Nigeria’s economic assets once again.