Mohammed Dewji, AKA “Mo” was born on May 8, 1975. MO is a Tanzanian billionaire, businessman and former politician. He is the owner of MeTL Group, a Tanzanian conglomerate founded by his father in the 1970s. Dewji net worth was estimated to US $1.9 billion as of December 2020, and that got him to be the 17th richest person in Africa and the continent’s youngest billionaire.
5 Facts About Mohammad Dewji
- Mohammed Dewji is the Chief Executive Officer of METL, a Tanzanian conglomerate founded by his father in the 1970s.
- METL runs in at least six African countries and has aspirations to grow to various more.
- METL is functional in textile manufacturing, flour milling, beverages and edible oils in eastern, southern and central Africa.
- Dewji was allegedly kidnapped under the threat of a gun in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania in October 2018 and released nine days after.
- Mo, who is Tanzania’s only billionaire, signed the Giving Pledge in 2016, promising to donate at least half his fortune to humanitarian causes.