African countries are usually characterized by poverty and low standard of living mostly by other foreign countries. However, it may interest you to know that although the African continent has the highest global rate of poor people, the region still has some of the world’s most expensive cities to live in 2018. Below is a list of the top 10 most expensive African cities in both within the continent and globally, compiled based on the total factors of cost of living:
- Luanda, Angola: The Angolan capital is the largest city in the country and the most expensive city to live in Africa with the highest cost of living. Recent rankings have placed the city as the 6th most expensive city in the world.
- N’Djamena, Chad Republic: The second most expensive city to live in Africa, is the capital of Chad Republic, N’Djamena. It is the largest city in the Republic of Chad and is ranked globally as the 8th most expensive city to live in the world.
- Libreville, Gabon: Ranking as the third most expensive city to live in Africa is the beautiful and vibrant capital city of Gabon, Libreville. The West African city is ranked on the global list as the 18th most expensive in the world.
- Victoria, Seychelles: The fourth on the list is the capital city of Brazzaville which is the largest city of the French-speaking Republic of the Congo. It is ranked on the global list as the 19th most expensive city
- Victoria, Seychelles: The capital city of the beautiful and small East-African country, is the 5th most expensive city in the continent on the list and the 21st globally.
- Abidjan, Cote D’Ivoire: The economic capital of Côte d’Ivoire is one of the most populous French-speaking cities in Africa. It is ranked as the 6th most expensive city with the highest cost of living in Africa and the 24th globally.
- Kinshasa, Democratic Republic Of Congo: The capital and largest city of the Democratic Republic of the Congo is the 7th among the most expensive cities in Africa to live in, and the 37th on the global list.
- Lagos, Nigeria: Nigeria’s largest city and centre of commerce is ranked as the 8th most expensive city to live in Africa. This beautiful coastal city of Lagos is one of the most populous cities in Africa and home for some of the richest people on the continent. It is the 42nd most expensive city to live on the global list.
- Yaounde, Cameroon: The country’s capital and economic hub is also its second largest city in the central African country. It is ranked as the 9th most expensive city to live in Africa and is the 43rd on the global list.
- Bangui, Central African Republic: The last on our list but not the least is the Central African City of Bangui. It is the capital and the largest city in the Central African Republic and the 10th most expensive city to live in Africa. On the global list, it ranks as the 48th.
Olatorera Consultancy Limited is a new-generation consulting company providing business development and consulting services to established companies and high net-worth individuals. Olatorera Consultancy provides critical and analytical services to companies under our radar to enable them innovate and serve their clients more effectively and efficiently using digital resources and modern strategies. Olatorera Consultancy provides the seal and stamp of Africa’s Best to enable great companies compete stronger on a global scale. Olatorera Consultancy publishes an annual list of “Africa’s Best 100 Companies” and “Africa’s Best 100 Leaders”.