Success is something everybody in the world strives for, because if one is not successful in life then the purpose for which we exist is defeated. However, success is an objective term, what one person may view as being successful may be meaningless to another. To take for instance, some people believe that maintaining a stable family is success while others believe that fulfilling a religious purpose is success. However, we will take a look at what a majority percentage of the world views as success today in the general sense, in order of hierarchy:
- Money/Wealth: In today’s world the people who are recognized as the most successful people in the world are the billionaires who have accrued so much wealth regardless of how they did, and live a lavish lifestyle in the eyes of the public. Most people today believe that once you have money every other problem becomes secondary as today money can buy virtually anything. Everybody wants to be rich because if you are rich, you are technically a successful person.
- Love/Family: Many would say that a large amount of wealth and a lavish life doesn’t mean much when you have no one to share it with. So what’s the next thing a rich person would do after acquiring sufficient wealth? they pursue love and family. Most people believe that once you have become financially successful the next step is to settle down and have a family because today, you cannot fend for a family without first being financially stable enough. Back in the old days reverse was probably the case where society viewed the most respected and successful people as those who had raised a large family with lots of children. Today, money comes first and then love and family because in many cases without the money the love doesn’t come lurking.
- Fame: It has basically become a norm that the most successful people automatically become famous. Being a celebrity today doesn’t just mean that you are a musician or an actor, it also means you are among the world’s richest and thus, most successful people. Many people believe that if they just become famous through any means they automatically become recognized among the top class people in the world.
- Education: Education which was once the foremost priority and foundation for success is gradually being pushed down the hierarchy today. This is because the world has created many other alternatives to get rich quick these days and so many do not view education as the most important factor for success anymore. So much that young celebrities today who are dropouts are among the richest people in the world, while those who spend many years in school gathering education are still struggling to get by. So many people would say what then is the point of education if it can hardly make you one of the richest people in the world? However, education is still a foremost factor because its one thing to have so much money it’s another thing to know how to expand the wealth and maintain it. So many people who have so much wealth today end up squandering it due to lack of education.
- Independence: Independence means freedom, and if you have attained the freedom from depending on parents or relatives or any other person to provide for your needs or to survive you have technically attained success in today’s world. However, Independence does not mean much today if it is not financial independence.
With the above what would you say makes you feel most successful in today’s world?
Olatorera Consultancy Limited is a new-generation consulting company providing business development and consulting services to established companies and high net-worth individuals. Olatorera Consultancy provides critical and analytical services to companies under our radar to enable them innovate and serve their clients more effectively and efficiently using digital resources and modern strategies. Olatorera Consultancy provides the seal and stamp of Africa’s Best to enable great companies compete stronger on a global scale. Olatorera Consultancy publishes an annual list of “Africa’s Best 100 Companies” and “Africa’s Best 100 Leaders”.