The most populous black nation in the world as well as the most populous country in Africa, Nigeria is an interesting place to live in or visit. Here are some of the most interesting and unique facts that span cultures, languages, gender lines, and centuries.
1. Nigeria is the seventh most populous country in the world, home to over 200 million people. Population would likely even be higher, if not for the country’s low life expectancy.
2. The town Igbo-Ora in Oyo State is known as “Nation’s Home Of Twins”. A large number of the local Yoruba people believe their consumption of yam and okra leaves is the cause of their high birth of twins. There is no scientific evidence for this assumption.
3. Nigeria’s film industry “Nollywood” is one of the largest film producers in the world, second to India’s Bollywood.
4. Nigeria is a multi-ethnic country with over 520 spoken languages. While English is the country’s official language, Yoruba, Hausa, and Igbo are also major languages in the country.
5. The city of Lagos is famous and celebrated as Africa’s big apple, Lagos is an economic centerpiece, an industrial hub and a commercial powerhouse to not just Nigerians, but to the world.