We have already established that the farming business is one of the most profitable agribusinesses in Africa that one can venture into today. With technology advancement and the exportation value of farm products, when undertaken in the proper way the farming business has the potential to turn in great profits. However, many people venture into this business without gathering the vast needed information required to thrive in the farming business and end up having to shut down. It is one thing to start a farming business after acquiring the much-needed capital for it, it is another ball game to sustain it.
Thus here are 5 key things every farmer must know to sustain and thrive in the farming business:
- Seed germination is important when getting seed from a seed company. It is important to look at both the hot and cold germination factor on the seed when purchasing to ensure you get the best yield for your soil temperatures and to know the age of the seed. Bear it in mind that what a farmer grows is driven by the markets.
- The price of commodities and what you can sell at determines how much of each crop you will grow. A farmer grows what the consumer and market demands.
- Growing specialty products is helpful for a farmer in the diversification of crop portfolio. Where there is more demand for a specific type of product, this allows you to find a more niche market through the buyers of that product. A farmer will find more premium in growing special crops for specialty markets.
- Organic farming tends to consume more water for farmers than non-organic farming.
- Technology is quickly becoming the biggest secret to efficiency which makes farmers more competitive.
The Olatorera Consultancy brand has grown from an ambitious solo-preneur to a team of over 15 people highly assertive on providing the seal and stamp of “Africa’s Best” to great businesses in Nigeria and beyond. Chief Executive Consultant, Olatorera Oniru is very passionate about seeing businesses succeed and operate optimally. She is also notably passionate about witnessing Africa transformed into one of the world’s greatest continents. Olatorera Consultancy has an annual outline of businesses we work with. We currently do not accept unsolicited applications. To network with the team at Olatorera Consultancy Limited, please add your company to the reviews page here. An Olatorera Consultancy company representative may be in touch with you shortly after reviewing your company’s readiness for business consultation services.