The Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) is the government agency that has been charged with the responsibility of migration management in Nigeria. The Immigration Department, as it was known then, was entrusted with the core immigration duties under the headship of the Chief Federal Immigration Officer (CFIO) who is now known as the Comptroller General. The first to sit on that chair was Mr. EH Harrison. The department in its emergent stages inherited the Immigration Ordinance of 1958 for its operation.
To be a modern, effective and efficient Immigration Service, manned by well trained and motivated workforce.
To strengthen the security and prosperity of Nigeria through proactive, effective and efficient border security and migration management.
Who appoints the Comptroller General of the Nigeria Immigration Service?
It is the President of Nigeria that appoints the new comptroller general.
Who is the Current Comptroller General of the Nigeria Immigration Service?
As at 2021, the comptroller general of the Nigeria Immigration Service is Muhammed Babandede. He has been in charge of the service since 2016- date. Babandede served as Assistant Comptroller General at the Immigration Headquarters. His appointment came after President Mohammadu Buhari sacked the former Immigration boss Martin Abeshi. Babandede has an award of Member of the Order of the Federal Republic in 2014. He is currently the longest service Nigeria Immigration Service top officer.
Roles of the Nigeria Immigration Service
- The control of persons entering or leaving Nigeria
- The issuance of travel documents, to bona fide Nigerians in and outside Nigeria
- The issuance of residence permits to foreigners in Nigeria
- Border surveillance and patrol
- Enforcement of laws and regulations with which we have been directly charged.
Divisions of the Nigeria Immigration Service
The Nigeria Immigration Service has been restructured into 8 directorates:
- Human Resources Management
- Finance and Accounts
- Planning, Research and Statistics
- Passport and Other Travel Documents
- Investigation and Compliance
- Border Management
- Visa and Residency
Units of the Nigeria Immigration Service
- Internal Audits
- Internal Security
- Press and Public Relations
- Anti-Corruption and Transparency