Nigeria’s famous zobo drink is made from a Hibiscus plant called Hibiscus Sabdariffa, which is deep red in color and very nutritious. Studies have shown that Hibiscus Sabdariffa has a lot of medical benefits.
Hibiscus Tea is a popular beverage in many regions of the world. In Nigeria, it is reffered to as Zobo and can be found in many Nigerian and International restraints.
Some of the nutrients provided by the dried leaves are:
- Vitamin C
All of these nutrients help to boost immune system and metabolism.
Benefits of Hibiscus Tea
- Reduces High Blood Pressure. Research conducted by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) in 2008 proves that consumption of Zobo can help reduce high blood pressure especially amon adults with pre-hypertension and mid-hyperte sion.
- May help reduce blood fat levels. Asides reducing blood pressure, studies have found that Hibiscus Tea may lower blood fat level which is a risk factor for heart disease. However, more studies have proved conflicting result regarding Hibiscus Teas effects on blood pressure.
- Control weight loss. Zobo drink is not only low in sugar but also in fats. It is high in Fibre which aids better digestion. Zobo drink is recommended for those who want to lose weight or in a diet plan
- Provides Calcium. The drink gi es calcium which is a mineral that helps makes your bone stronger. Calcium also works to prevent Osteoporosis, enhance stronger teeth and prevent any disease that related to your bone.
- Contains components that prevents cancer Hibiscus is high in Polyphenol which is are compounds that have been shown to possess powerful anti-cancer properties.
Hibiscus Tea is a type of herbal tea associated with many health benefits. It can be made and enjoyed from the comfort of your own kitchen or you purchased a ready-to-drink zobo powder and mix with cold or hot water.