The Ekiti State Governor-elect, Kayode John Fayemi who was also APC’s chosen candidate for the election emerged victorious at the Ekiti state gubernatorial election on Saturday 14th of July 2018. Born on 9th of February 1965 Ibadan, Oyo State, he grew up in Ado Ekiti, Ekiti state. The governor-elect recently resigned as the Minister of Solid Minerals Development. Although the PDP had high hopes of retaining the office at this year’s election, the APC triumphed at the election despite several controversial news reports in the media to undermine the APC candidate. Here are 5 other facts to know about the new Ekiti state governor:
- Governor Kayode Fayemi had his first and second degree in history, politics and international relations from the University of Lagos and Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, and his Doctorate in war studies from king’s College, University of London, England, specializing in civil-military relations.
- He was once a journalist at The Guardian Newspaper and City Tempo in the UK
- He is a writer, and has written extensively on governance and democratization, civil-military relations and security sector issues in Africa, and is also a fellow of the Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Ibadan.
- Dr Fayemi once served as an Adviser on Transitional Justice, Regional Integration, Constitutionalism, Security Sector Reform and Civil-Military Relations Issues to the Government of Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Uganda, Rwanda and Ghana, and was also the Secretary-General, Media Empowerment for Africa (The Radio Foundation) 1995–1997
- Dr Fayemi ran for the Ekiti state governorship election in the 2007 elections on the platform of the Action Congress party and won. He was sworn in as Governor of Ekiti state on October 16, 2010, and completed his tenure on October 15, 2014.
Olatorera Consultancy Limited provides business development services to high net-worth individuals and companies looking to grow, enter or do business in Africa.