Bitter kola also known as Garcinia kola. It is found in Benin, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ivory Coast, Mali, Gabon, Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria, Senegal and Sierra Leone. Bitter kola plants have been long valued because of their medicinal properties.
Bitter kola seeds are mostly commonly eaten and they have a sharp, bitter flavor that eases into a slight sweetness as you chew, and they are eaten raw. Although Bitter kola has been eaten for years in Africa, scientist are just beginning to study the health benefits of it.
Studies have shown that the plant is high in carbohydrates, fat, protein, vitamin c, calcium, potassium, iron and caffeine. Here are some health benefits of Bitter kola:
- Bitter kola fights infections from the cold to hepatitis. A 2018 study aslo showed that bitter kola can help combat coughs, bacterial infections, and viral infections.
- Bitter Kola may protect against hypoglycemia.
- Bitter kola nuts may be a remedy to osteoarthritis.
- The nuts improve function of the lungs
- Bitter Kola may improve the immune system.