The evolution of sim cards has progressed from different stages such as the full sim, mini sim, micro sim, nano sim and now the e-Sim. The eSIM was launched globally in 2016, is the next generation of SIM cards after Nano SIMs which were launched in 2012. However, MTN is unsurprisingly pioneering the first launch in West Africa. Since entering Nigeria in 2001, MTN has been credited for a number of firsts when it comes to mobile communication and Internet penetration. With this novel technology, MTN is set to, once again, establish its dominance in the African tele-communications landscape. Among other benefits, the eSim is expected to stop the incident of recycled numbers, which is fast becoming a menace in Nigeria. Here are 5 things to know about the new eSim:
- The eSIMs are built into smartphones, devices, and wearables without a physical card like its predecessors. They support multiple profiles and allow customers to connect multiple numbers to their eSIM devices.
- Despite its high-tech status, the onboarding requirements are the same as a physical SIM. Hence, SIM registration, in line with existing regulatory prescriptions, remains a requirement for activating a device embedded with an eSIM,
- The e-Sim is not limited to hosting one mobile network provider. Subscriber data, which is programmed into an eSIM during the registration process, can be reprogrammed to another network provider later.
- To activate the eSim, compatible phones are used to scan a QR code assigned to the eSIM. As part of the requirements, the network provider will have to provide a access for the subscriber, usually in the form of an app.
- Only a few countries support the eSIM services and even fewer phone brands have this software on some of their devices. List of compatible devices include: Google Pixel 2, Google Pixel 3, iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, Samsung S20, ,Samsung S20+, Samsung S20 Ultra. Watches with eSIM include: Huawei Watch 2 Pro, Apple Watch Series 3, Apple Watch Series 4, Samsung Gear S2, Samsung Gear S3, Samsung Galaxy Watch.