Nigerian senators occupy the upper chambers of the legislative arm of politics in Nigeria they are responsible for deliberating and passing on bills in the national assembly. Senators in Nigeria are the highest ranked legislative office holders. They are known to earn good salaries and are given government allowances, making them among the wealthiest people in the country. However, some of them are known to have been already wealthy before venturing into politics, while some are previous political office-holders such as former Governors, former ministers or former House of representative members before being elected as senators. Some of these senators have served in the Senate chambers for multiple tenures, which is a contributing factor to the extent of their wealthy status. Here are 5 of the richest senators in Nigeria:
- Dr. Bukola Saraki who is currently the Senate president of Nigeria representing kwara state central senatorial district under the ruling party, APC.
- Ben Murray Bruce who is the owner of silver bird television and represents the Bayelsa state East senatorial district in the upper chambers under PDP.
- David Mark who is currently the longest serving Nigerian senator representing his constituency – Benue central senatorial district since the year 1999, and former 2 term senate president.
- Godswill Akpabio, former Governor of Akwa Ibom state, lawyer and representative of Akwa Ibom Northern-east senatorial district under PDP, and also the Senate minority leader.
- Dino Melaye who ventured into Nigerian politics through his exploits as a student Union government leader in Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria and the National Association of Nigerian Students. He represents Kogi West Senatorial district PDP.
Olatorera Consultancy Limited provides business development services to high net-worth individuals and companies looking to grow, enter or do business in Africa.