The rise of public administration and the discovery of oil and natural gas are the two major events believed to have led to the sustained increases in the incidence of corrupt practices in Nigeria. On 23 February, the presidential and national assembly election was conducted in Nigeria to elect a president and lawmakers to replace the outgoing 8th Senate and House of Representative. The National Assembly consist of a senate with 109 members and a 360 member House of Representative.
About 10% of the newly elected Nigerian senators are facing corruption probes by the EFCC for allegedly stealing funds, involvement in fraud, false pretenses, etc. They were frequently in the custody of anti-corruption agencies, answering questions for their alleged corrupt practices. However, it didn’t deter them contesting and winning the senatorial seat. The big question is, “With these people in office, will it be detrimental to the growth of the country”?
Here is the top 5 Nigerian Preceding Senators Under Investigation for Theft:
- Mrs. Stella Oduah (Former Aviation Minister)– Stella Oduah is a returning senator under the People’s Democratic Party (PDP). She was accused of diverting N3.9 billion meant for the installation of Security devices at 22 airports.
- Abba Moro (Former Interior Minister)– Mr. Moro is currently facing trial for alleged $2.5million fraud, involving missing application fees. He won the Benue South senatorial seat.
- Orji Uzor Kalu (Former Governor of Abia State)– The former governor of Abia State is under investigation for allegedly stealing Abia funds while in office. This didn’t stop him from contesting and winning the Abia North Senatorial election on the platform of the All Progressive Congress (APC).
- Ifeanyi Ubah (CEO of Capital Oil)– The business mogul and politician won the Anambra South Senatorial election on the platform of the Young Progressive Party (YPP). He is also facing trial for allegedly obtaining subsidy payments by false
pretences, money laundering and involvement in fraud worth N43.29Billion through Petroleum subsidy scheme.
- Aliyu Wamakko (Former Governor of Sokoto State)- Mr Wamakko is facing charges for theft of public funds and money laundering of N15billion.
Push Your Dreams Confidently!
The Olatorera Consultancy brand has grown from an ambitious solo-preneur to a team of highly assertive “Africanists” focused on providing the seal and stamp of “Africa’s Best” to great businesses in Africa and beyond. Olatorera Consultancy has an annual outline of businesses we work with. We currently do not accept unsolicited applications. To network with the team at Olatorera Consultancy Limited, please add your company to the reviews page here. An Olatorera Consultancy company representative may be in touch with you shortly after reviewing your company’s readiness for business consultation services.