The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria performs its duties according to the policy guidelines which are provided by the Federal Government of Nigeria, through the Federal Ministry of Transportation and is guided by these in all of its business dealings and agreements with contractors and various third parties with which it does business. The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) is responsible for the management of all commercial airports in Nigeria. The Chairman of the authority is Otunba Niyi Adebayo and the CEO is Captain Rabiu Hamisu Yadudu. FAAN generates revenue from aeronautical (80%) and non-aeronautical sources (20%). FAAN generated 30billion naira as revenue between January and September 2020. In the breakdown, N17.61bn was from aeronautical sources, while N5.77bn was non-aeronautical sources.
Functions of FAAN
The responsibilities of FAAN were highlighted by Yusufu (2013). They include to:
• Develop, provide and maintain at all airports, all necessary services and facilities for the safe, orderly, expeditious and economic operation of air transport.
• Provide adequate facilities and personnel for effective security at all airports.
• Provide conducive environment under which passengers and goods would be carried by air and under which aircraft would be used for other gainful purposes, and for prohibiting the carriage by air of goods of such classes as may be proscribed.
• Provide accommodation and other facilities for the effective handling of passengers and freight.
• Charge for services provided by the Authority at airports.
FAAN operates the following airports in Nigeria:
- International: Lagos Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Abuja Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport, Kano Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport and Port Harcourt International Airport.
- Major Domestic: Kaduna Airport, Enugu Airport, Calabar Margaret Ekpo International Airport, Maiduguri Airport, Sokoto Sultan Saddik Abubakar Airport, Jos Yakubu Gowon Airport, Yola Airport.
- Regional: Owerri Sam Mbakwe Airport, Katsina Airport, Minna Airport, Ilorin Airport, Ibadan Airport, Akure Airport, Benin Airport, Makurdi Airport, Zaria Airport, Warri Airport, Bauchi Airport.
FAAN performs the following operations in the country:
(a) Landside: Car parks, shops, offices and access roads.
(b) Airside: Runways, taxiways, fire services, water supply, power supply, air lighting and apron control.
(c) Terminal Building: Provision of facilities for arrival, departure lounges, check-in-counters, airlines offices, information desks and offices for banks, government agencies, services that ensure maximum comfort for passengers while waiting for their flights e.g. VIP lounge, duty free shops,
snacks bars and other conveniences.
(d) Telecommunications: Provision of public telephones at Airports.
(e) Security: Safety of aircraft and passengers at airports, industrial security of property e.g. parked aircraft, cargo in warehouses and property in offices.